This is a DIY Bubbleponics Seedling area that i've been using for starts. I've decided to try some things out, being a new grower, so I thought while I grow my, current, autoflower soil grow in the other side of the tent-why not setup a couple non auto since this tent is currently always in an 18/6 light cycle.
Currently i'm gathering materials/designs for a larger/full-size RDWC for this tent. That will require my current autoflower to be done (so why rush right?). I'm a bit of a tech nerd and also in to 3d printing/diy-so this is also right up my alley.
- Silver Surfer (1 week old 4/28/2018) - Brand is... a found seed from a local rec strain (will be keeping a sharp eye on this one to ensure i don't have a male and ruin my autoflower as well).
- Sour Diesel (fem) - Purchased from ILoveGrowingMarijuana.com (Not Pictured, currently germinating seeds) Does anyone know why this seed shop isn't listed? Wonder if i should start buying somewhere else...
- Basil (3 weeks old 4/28/2018) - Testing/Researching Companion Growing and one that was mentioned was Basil. Now i'm not quite sure which-so i actually have a few types. My daughter, wife, and I, have a love for gardening so all our window sills are covered with grow lights and such for quickly getting some good things to transplant to our small patch of outdoor garden. This particular plant was an outlying seed that missed the rapid rooter in my daughters little herb pot. After 2 weeks it grew and we were gonna pick it out so i rescued it gently from the soil (using my Fox Farms Ocean Forest ;) she's so spoiled) before gently rinsing roots, coating with AZOS, splitting a rapid rooter in half, and gently laying out the small roots and stem of the basil. The combo of the bubbling/humid DWC underneath and decent temps/light have really made this one jump. It was almost immediate that it was responsive to the growing conditions-that made me pretty proud of myself... i'm usually not that lucky.
This setup, again custom-and I could be off on a LOT of these things, is a Recirculating Deep Water Culture (bubbleponics) system.
- 4W 300L/hr water pump - (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078XQ3FCL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) The pump has a 1/2" line piped to a 6 port chrome manifold. To ensure that there is circulation at all times I have a line that loops up then back down and ziptied loosely to the main up pipe. It's always on. One is a little longer that I use for gathering water for my stat checks. The others are for wherever i need it. Currently none really in use until i start seeing some actual roots emerge from the rapid rooter.
- 6W 15L/min air pump - (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JPEVMC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) Air pump is currently set to highest, in tent (maybe i should put it outside? does it matter?), and connected to a T very close to, and equally split apart, 2x4" air stones. I have some SERIOUS air going through this thing. From what i've read i was under the impression that, for a 5 gallon bucket you'd way a minimum of 5L/min through an airstone for proper aeration. I am way over this-so i'm, again, assuming i'm safe.
- 100W fish tank heater set to 70F. Again, going on recommendation to keep between ~68-72F so i shot for the middle. My daily checks show that i'm almost dead on that.
- Many 3d printed parts and such.
Overall i'm using 1.5 gal cleaning on a weekly cycle. I do daily checks on reservoir and am only adjusting if pH goes out of the range 5.8-6.3 (Does this sound about right)? Obviously i'd also want to adjust if my EC/PPM go out of whack but plants this big i'm not assuming i'll run in to this situation. My nutrient list is basically the FoxFarms basic hydro although i'm not using the Grow Big Hydro since i bought the stuff for soil. I'm using ~3/4 because of this. Also, i'm cutting everything recommended by FoxFarms down to 1/4 strength just to heed advice of others that know waaaay more that i do.
Anyway-gardening has really become a fun thing for me to unwind during the day so I hope you guys enjoy reading while i try and get a bit more experienced.